Friday, September 29, 2017

Small Hardware Store

So I headed in for surgery to remove the hardware on my leg this past Tuesday. I'm pretty sure I was the last scheduled surgery that day, and they were running behind. I didn't go in until after 7pm...so needless to say, it was a late night.

Things apparently went smoothly enough, however, and I was in recovery and thinking about leaving by 9:30pm, with a baggie full of hardware to take home. I was released with "weight bearing as tolerated" and a warning to be extremely cautious about a fall or hard hit due to the swiss cheese that would be my bones - but, according to the doc, "normal" activity wouldn't hurt it. No plans to be on a bike of any variety for a couple weeks, so no worries there, just being careful while navigating the world.

Now it's basically a wait and see if things heal up quickly and nicely or if the infection starts acting up again. Of course, I'm *hoping* it will clear up 100% now that the hardware is out. Obviously he didn't find more damage when he was in there, so it appears the antibiotics at least kept it suppressed - hopefully the slice n dice doesn't give it a chance to act up. Still on the oral antibiotics, and see the ID doc the day after my post-op follow up. I'm slightly stressed, but glad that hardware is out and looking forward to being able to move forward.

Since there wasn't a bunch of bone damage, I've got 3 weeks from now (3 1/2 from the surgery) to heal up before the next race round, so IF things go well, it looks like I just might be able to make the last race of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment