Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Almost "Hardware Out" Time

Yesterday I headed in for my pre-op appointment for my hardware removal surgery in two weeks. By this time in two week I may be celebrating - or crying my eyes out. No idea which way that'll swing right now. The appointment went fine, but I'm ready to have this stuff out of my leg and at least give myself a fighting chance at beating this infection. It's not like it's manifesting externally at all - no swelling, redness, tenderness, even the miscoloration seems more like "normal" coloring for this kind of fracture than infection related - although, that being said, I've convinced myself some of it is infection related, which has me itching to get it out NOW.

Besides all of that though, things have been going fairly well. I'm back to working out, walking a couple miles is no big deal, I can even do some small hopping and short hobble runs. The rebuilding of the leg is slow, and my tendons and such are still needing to re-stretch out, but overall progress is progress even if it's not as fast as I'd like (but I also know it's actually not too bad, technically speaking). Honestly, if I didn't KNOW there was an infection in there, and I wasn't taking a pill twice a day because of it, I'd be pretty happy with where things are at.

I've "met" a few people online who've had a pilon fracture that got infected - while I don't wish this on anyone, it's been nice to hear I'm not alone. These fractures are so rare to begin with, none the less when you add in the infection! None of them have lost their leg yet, and most still have hardware in there, so I'm crossing my fingers that this set back won't go the worst possible direction - still not counting on that, but sure am hoping for it.

Today is the second time I've worn my kitten heel shoes to work. Takes a little concentration, especially at first to not walk like a hobbled calf, but it's progress, and nice to feel like I at least "look" like a normal person (as long as no one looks too close at my scars).

Riding the leg is mixed, it definitely causes me problems on right hand corners, BUT, more time, rehab, strengthening, stretching, etc will help with the issues I'm experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment